We crowned Suiskin’s Hydro Marine Aqua Drop Mask as the winner of Best Mask 2010, so now comes the review. First off a little introduction on the company called Suiskin.
Suiskin is a joint-project between the La Clinique de Switzerland, Zurich and Korea’s Suiskin. Combining Korea’s top nano-technology application on skincare products ( Korea’s nanotechnology is very reputable – and almost all korean skincare are nano-technologized ) with La Clinique de Switzerland’s formulation, science , and the natural resources of Switzerland, Suiskin was born. ( I’ll do a Brand Introduction segment on the company later..).
Artificial preservatives, emulsifiers, mineral oil, PEG, fragrances, skin irritants such as artificial coloring were excluded Suiskin’s products ingredients.
The Hydro Marine Aqua Drop Mask is a refreshing and relaxing mask for the face and also can be used on the eye contour area. It is suitable for all skin types. It is non-comedogenic and dermatologically tested, therefore suitable for those with sensitive skin too.
The packaging of this mask is so adorable! The mask comes in a small 100ml plastic jar/tub which kind of reminds me of the Haagen Daaz mini cup ice cream! It’s really cute. It also has a protection lid inside once opened. I took a photo comparing it with a wine bottle to show how little the jar really is!
As i said, all Suiskin products are mineral oil, PEG, fragrances – free.
This mask isn’t paraben free unfortunately – it contains only 0.4% of both methly and propyl paraben – which is why the shelf life of this product is only 1 year after opening. ( other than the normal 2 years after opening ).
Contains the usual butylene glycol, dimethicone (silicones). Also contains Vitamin E, Chamomile Extracts ( skin soothing ).
1. Glycerin – Glycerin is used as a lubricant and humectant in a variety of personal care products, and as a cosmetic bonding agent for makeup. Simply stated, glycerin attracts water to skin and helps skin to feel smoother and softer. However, studies have found that it not only attracts water to the skin, but also helps skin cells mature properly. According to a study done by The Medical College of Georgia, Glycerin works as a signal to help direct skin cells through their four normal stages of maturity. In the endless cycle of skin-cell production, the youngest cells move up from the deepest layer and switch from replicating as their main function to eventually becoming mature surface cells that spit out lipids to help form the skin’s protective barrier. Read more here!, here
2. Biosaccharide Gum-1– A polysaccharide made by fermenting plants. A moisturizing and skin soothing ingredient. It works by binding water to the epidermis, and creating a moisture-binding film on the skin that gives the skin a soft, smooth feeling. In addition to providing long lasting moisturization, it also functions as an anti-irritant.
3. Hyaluronic Acid – No stranger in skincare these days in Asian Skincare products thanks to the Japanese. Hyaluronic acid (also called Hyaluronan) is a component of connective tissue whose function is to cushion and lubricate. All of your skin cells contain HA. But only abut a third of all of it is renewed each day. Thanks to the damaging effects of UV radiation and free radicals, a bodily enzyme called hyaluronidase is triggered to break down HA. So the more free radicals that are in your skin, the more hyaluronidase is active, and the more HA that’s destroyed. The presence of hyaluronic acid in epithelial tissue has been shown to promote keratinocyte proliferation and increase the presence of retinoic acid, effecting skin hydration. Hyaluronic acid’s interaction with CD44 drives collagen synthesis and normal skin function. Present in the extracellular matrix of basal keratinocytes, hyaluronic acid is critical to the structural integrity of the dermal collagen matrix.
4. Algae extract : In cosmetics, algae act as thickening agents, water-binding agents, and antioxidants.
5. Portulaca oleracea extract – Purslane (Portulaca Oleracea) has been used for thousands of years throughout the world for everything from salads to medicines.Extract that may have anti-inflammatory or analgesic properties
6. Carrageenan – A gel-forming polysaccharide found in the “red algae” seaweed known as “Irish moss”. Soothing, and a natural emulsifier and thickening agent (excellent emollient qualities).
Suiskin uses a technology called the Aqua Matrix System which generates a skin barrier to prevent moisture lost.
We loved the texture of this products. Unlike gel based products which tend to be sticky on the skin, this mask doesnt feel sticky at all. Don’t be fooled by its appearance. This masks looks thick and sticky doesnt it? It does have a really thick and gooey texture as seen from the test below :
But once applied on the skin, it slides on the skin easily and form these ‘water droplets’. Once you rub the mask around your skin, these water droplets will form and they will facilitate application of the mask and makes it even easier to apply on your skin. We loved the texture and it’s non sticky feel. This mask is a wash-off mask but im sure it can be used as a sleeping mask too!
So u see those water droplets forming?
After application, skin feels very comfortable and hydrated!
We like this mask! It is correctly priced now that it is on buy one free one!
It’s non sticky, oil free texture is ace and it feels really comfortable on the skin. The masks also absorbs and sinks right into the skin so well that even if u wash it off after a few minutes, you’ll feel that there’s nothing to wash off because everything is absorbed! Your skin feels soft and supple and slippery too (hehe) after washing the mask off. Also it can be used as a sleeping pack/mask, and doesn’t need to be washed off if u want to use it as a sleeping mask!
Update! : We’ve been using this everyday for about 2 weeks now – and we are loving this even more. We also noticed that when we try washing the mask off after 30 mins, there is nothing to wash off! It’s like everything has been absorbed into the skin and there’s nothing left to wash off. And not only that, we have noticed that even the water we used to wash the mask off our faces stick to our faces! And the skin feels so hydrated and slippery after that ! No matter how i shake my head, the water droplets still stick to my skin!
As this mask doesn’t contain any fragrance, don’t expect some heavenly scent, it has a slight ocean scent to it!
Results shown on the Moisture Analyzer : Before – After
And on the skin analyzer :
Before picture of my hand – so dry and wrinkled :
After picture of my hand after applying the mask – hydrated and dewy!
Where to purchase?
They are having a buy one free one promotion right now for a limited period of time, so if you’re shopping on Gmarket add this to your basket ! : click here!
We also recommend their Caviar Regenerating Sleeping Mask ( which faced tough competition with Sulwhasoo’s Sleeping Mask ) which is also on buy one free one for a very limited time : click here!
And Suiskin’s Deep Hydrating Aqua Serum is also on Buy 1 Free 1 ( We just placed our order too ) : here!
Remember when you buy these items on Gmarket, at the ‘comments to seller’ box, type in : ‘recommended by hopeinablog.wordpress.com ! Please include some samples =)’
To be able to win samples / prizes and be updated , don’t forget to join us at facebook and twitter :